Energy drinks are safe: Canadians should understand total caffeine intake from all sources
The Canadian Beverage Association welcomes the assessment on energy drink safety by Health Canada. This adds to the weight of evidence from health authorities across the world that energy drinks are safe to consume. The CBA agrees with Health Canada that Canadians should be aware of all the caffeine they are consuming, not simply the caffeine found in one single product. Health Canada states that 90 per cent of our caffeine comes from coffee and tea, leaving 10 per cent from other sources. The amount of caffeine in an energy drink is lower that the caffeine found in an equivalent-sized filter drip coffee.
Energy Drinks: An Assessment for the Potential Health Risks in the Canadian Context. IFRAJ, 2013. http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/45380/InTech-Energy_drinks_an_assessment_of_the_potential_health_risks_in_the_canadian_context.pdf